Are you in the market for the best portable battery powered guitar amps?
Well You’re in the right place!
Portable amps used to be less reliable when they first appeared in the market. The newly introduced battery-powered amps were not able to provide the expected results, i.e., quality tone and good structure. However, with time the technology evolved, and the quality of portable battery-powered amplifiers improved.
In the present age, when you shop for a good quality practice amplifier, you can easily find some amazing ones. These guitar amplifiers can produce sounds large enough that you can use them as a portable combo amp or a battery-powered amp for live concerts.
However, when searching for the best battery powered guitar amplifier, you will have a variety of options. But when it comes to choosing an amplifier that allows you to have the most control over how it functions, such as controlling its sounds and other extra features, you will find some expensive and less portable ones.
The idea of having a portable guitar amplifier is indeed appealing. You can enjoy playing your instrument wherever and whenever you want. Even if you are searching for a guitar amplifier for just practicing, you will have a good range of options at much cheaper rates as compared to an electric amplifier.
Nonetheless, in today’s market, there are just a few portable amplifier options that can offer you quality sounds similar to what their parent amplifiers could offer, and that too without functioning as full-sized amplifiers.
The 11 Best Portable Battery Powered Guitar Amplifiers
When picking out a portable guitar amplifier, you will find a good variety of amplifiers varying in sizes. You will be able to spot everything from large combo amplifiers to headphone amplifiers.
However, just because you are shopping for a battery-powered portable guitar amplifier, it does not mean that you will end up getting one that is smaller in size and produces low-standard sounds.
Portable amplifiers are easy to carry, and some of them even come at low prices. However, the advanced models of guitar amplifiers offer an excellent range of features and quality sounds that can deliver you satisfying performance
Don’t have time to read the full post?
In short, here are the 11 best portable battery powered guitar amps:
- Roland CUBE-ST Street Battery-Powered 5-Watt Stereo Amplifier
- Roland AC-33 Acoustic Chorus Battery-powered 30-Watt Guitar Amplifier
- VOX MINI3 G2 Battery Powered Modeling Amp, 3W
- Marshall MS2 Battery-Powered Micro Guitar Amplifier
- Blackstar Electric Guitar Mini Amplifier
- Fender Frontman 10G Electric Guitar Amplifier
- Fender Mini Deluxe Electric Guitar Amp
- Fender Mustang I V2 20-Watt 1×8-Inch Combo Electric Guitar Amplifier
- Orange Crush Mini 3-Watt Micro Amp
- NUX Mighty Lite BT Mini Portable Modeling Guitar Amplifier with Bluetooth
- Roland MICRO CUBE GX Portable 3-Watt Guitar Amplifier
In this post, we’ll review each of these guitar amps to help you decide which is the best for your specific needs.
Let’s get started!
Roland CUBE-ST Street Battery-Powered 5-Watt Stereo Amplifier
Roland is a company that is trusted by thousands of guitarists from all across the globe. It makes it impossible to create a list of best battery-powered, portable guitar amps.
Featuring a slanted cabinet design, this amplifier by Roland is a smart choice due to its compactness and lightweight. It is a versatile amp that offers some super impressive specifications.
- Power Rating: 5-Watts
- Speaker: 2 x 6.5”
- Battery Life: 15 Hours
- Power Sources: 6 x AA Batteries or DC
- Controls: Reverb/Delay, Effects, Guitar Treble, Guitar Middle, Guitar Bass, Guitar Volume, Gain, Type, Tuner, Bass, Volume, Treble.
- Inputs: AUX-In, ¼” / XLR, ¼”
- Dimensions: 16 3/8” x 11 5/8” x 9 7/8”
- Outputs: Headphones
- Weight: 13 lbs 1 oz
Perfect for Travelers
This is considered as the ultimate amplifier for musicians who travel a lot. The design of Cube Street is based on the concept of street performances and buskers. It works pretty well for musicians who require a good home or backstage amplifier into which they can plug their vocals as well as guitar.
A Go-To Option for a Wide Range of Guitars
For the microphone, this amplifier has an XLR in, apart from that it also has a channel for guitar. Moreover, the channel for guitar models five different amplifiers and these include a Marshall amp, a Vox amp, vintage Fender-style amp, Ronald’s Jazz Chorus as well as for acoustic guitars, a voicing.
The output level and EQ of both if its channel can be controlled individually. However, the microphone channels feature a treble and bass equalization control. It comes with several modulation effects, and these include delay, reverb, tremolo, phaser, flanger, and chorus.
- It is roadworthy and rugged.
- It is designed to produce loud sounds that are required for outdoor performances, within a specific radius.
- The microphone’s input addition is a thing that was not offered in any other portable battery-powered amplifier.
- The amplifier is said to lack bass response that is necessary for bass and acoustic guitars.
- Users have to remove the batteries before you plug it into a wall socket as the batteries might leak.
Roland AC-33 Acoustic Chorus Battery-powered 30-Watt Guitar Amplifier
Roland is a company that serves as a beast in the market and is one of the most reliable options for guitarists. It makes it evident that this power-packed amp comes with amazing features because this company has been serving the world of guitarists for a long time.
- Power Rating: 20-Watts (On Batteries) / 30-Watts on AC
- Battery Life: 8 Hours
- Power Source(s): 8 x AA Batteries or AC
- Speaker: 2 x 5.”
- Controls: Mic Volume, Mic Bass, Mic Treble, Mic Chorus, Guitar Volume, Guitar Bass, Guitar Middle, Guitar Treble, Guitar Chorus, Reverb, Anti-Feedback, Looper
- Input(s): XLR, ¼”, AUX-In, Foot Switch, Looper
- Output(s): Headphones, Line Out
- Weight: 10 lbs, 6 oz.
- Dimensions: 12 9/16” x 8 13/16” x 9 5/8”
Ideal for Small Events
For guitarists who frequently play at small venues such as coffee shops, homes, and small events, this guitar amplifier is a great choice. The fact that it is not suitable for large venues makes it suitable for those who usually play at small gigs.
Free of Ear-splitting Microphonics
A feature that makes this an excellent choice for guitarists is the anti-feedback control that it comes with. It works wonders when it comes to avoiding or eliminating ear-splitting microphonics, which is a significant problem during performances.
A Class Apart
This portable battery-powered amplifier is a class apart as it comes with a built-in 40-second looper. It allows a guitarist to perform harmonies and layering. It a rare feature and is not found in many amplifiers in this category.
- The natural-sounding, brittle-less tone attracts many guitarists.
- The feedback control is implemented seamlessly.
- The feedback control does not have any negative impact on the tone.
- It is super lightweight, which makes it perfect for guitarists who travel a lot.
- The mic input is weak as compared to its competitor, which is why it requires additional gain.
- Adding gain causes noise amplification.
- There is a lack of phantom power that makes it difficult to use with condenser microphones.
- The sound amplification is not loud enough.
- There is no footswitch in this model.
VOX MINI3 G2 Battery Powered Modeling Amp, 3W
Affordable, classic design and satisfying performance are the best ways to describe this powerhouse that is jam-packed with features that can take the industry by a storm. Quality is not an issue when it is about amps manufactured by VOX.
- 8.02 pounds
- 10.62 x 7.48 x 11.81 inches
- 4 Watts
Super Lightweight & Portable
Guitarists need practice amps as they are portable and lightweight. Users can easily carry it around and even take them along on vacations. It weighs just 8 pounds, and its dimensions are 10.62 x 7.48 x 11.81 inches. You can easily adjust this in a bag.
It is a small battery-powered amp, but the sound it produces is exceptional and has impressed a lot of its users. The sound quality is better than most of the practice amps that are available in the market.
- The amp produces a reasonably loud sound.
- It is very compact.
- The tuner is not reliable, and many users did not like it.
- It creates too much noise which can be very frustrating for a user
Marshall MS2 Battery-Powered Micro Guitar Amplifier
The Marshall MS2 Micro Guitar Amp is a convenient way to practice and play guitar on the go. It is ultra-portable, sounds great, and requires no setup.
When talking about micro guitar amps that are travel-friendly due to their compact designing, guitarists can definitely give this amplifier a thought. The name, Marshall, is not a new name in the industry and is known for its top-quality products. The specifications are impressive.
- Circuitry: Solid-State
- Output: 1-Watt RMS
- Speakers: x 1
- Input: Input Jack
- Outputs: Headphone
- Effects: Overdrive
- Programmable: No
- Width: 110mm
- Height: 140mm
- Depth: 60mm
- Weight: 340g.
Perfect for Practicing
Whether one feels like jamming some tunes just for fun or is looking for something to perfect their skill, this is the right pick. Work your magic; it’s the right choice for making skills, impeccable!
Easy-to-Understand Control Panel
Starting left to right, we have the input jack, volume control, tone control, Power Off/On/OD, and Power LED Indicator. (We told you it was simple!)
Lightweight & Portable
It weighs just 340grams, and its dimensions are 2.36 x 4.33 x 5.51 inches. It means that users can carry it in their bags anywhere they want because of its exceptional compactness.
- It is one of the most portable practice amps in the market, and it works wonders for busking.
- This amp comes with a built-in speaker.
- It is very easy to use.
- It offers great value for money.
- The clean channel distorted at higher volumes
- Can drain batteries rather quickly
Blackstar Electric Guitar Mini Amplifier
Elegance, simplicity, with an aesthetically pleasing design, the Blackstar Electric Guitar mini amplifier is taking the industry by a storm. It is one of the most affordable options that a guitarist will come across at present. It is manufactured in such a way that it can fit into a bag of a guitarist who wants to jam on their vacation.
- 3 watts
- 3″ speaker
- Battery-powered (requires 6x AA batteries – see above for recommendations) or external power
- 2 Channels: clean and overdrive
- ‘ISF’ EQ knob to adjust between American and British amp tones
- Built-in digital tape delay effect
- Line in for jamming along with music
- Headphone output
- Comes in black, green, or ‘cream’ with the Union Jack flag printed on the front
- 2.2 pounds
- 7.6 x 5.6 x 4.3 inches
Compactness & Portability
Blackstar has designed a very compact and portable practice amp in the form of FLY3. It weighs just 2.2 pounds with 7.6 x 5.6 x 4.3 inches in dimensions. It is advantageously small, which makes it easy to carry around and handle it.
It can easily adjust in a bag, which makes It easy and convenient to travel with.
It is one of the most affordable options in the market. Users can enjoy amazing features at a very reasonable rate. Guitarists can get this portable amp at the price of a mid-level stompbox.
Impressive Build Quality
The amp is smartly constructed, and the build quality is very impressive. The crisp look makes this amp look aesthetically pleasing as it is something on the expensive guitar amps.
Even though this one is a small, battery-powered amp, it offers excellent sound in comparison to its competitors. It is useless to expect sound quality that of a 50-watt, 1×12 combo because it is not designed as a full-size amp.
- For a small amp, the sound generated by this amp is quite exceptional.
- It allows users to create an array of different tones.
- It is very affordable.
- The build quality is impressive, and it is travel friendly.
- The amp might not perform well at high frequency.
Fender Frontman 10G Electric Guitar Amplifier
Fender, a name that dominates the guitar manufacturing industry, is one of the best options to consider when it comes to getting a hands-on portable amplifier. The classic Fender body packed with specifications of a true hero, this guitar amp is one of the top choices in the market at present.
- 10 Watts
- 6″ Fender Special Design Speaker
- Single Channel
- Over-Drive Select Switch
- 10.1 pounds
- 5.75 x 10.25 x 11 inches
In comparison to all other practice amps, this one by Fender is one that offers the most easy-to-use controls. The intuitive design of the control panel is a plus and makes it super user-friendly. The controls available in this model includes Gain, Over-Drive Select Switch, Volume, Treble, Bass.
In addition to this, the controls are very responsive.
Classic Build Quality
When it comes to durability and reliability, this one stands ahead of the competition. It features a solid build, which makes it satisfyingly durable.
The amp produces a loud sound, which is not expected of the small, practice amps. It does not sound cheap, tiny, or boxy. The sound is clear and loud, which impresses a lot of guitarists.
Portable & Travel-Friendly
Users who want to go on a vacation and wish to take their guitars along, this battery-powered, small amp works well as a travel companion. It is not the most compact design by Fender, but it still is travel-friendly where much of the practice amps are not.
Offers Great Bang for the Buck
The features that it offers are amazing, given the price that it is available in. Guitarists can enjoy the best of practice amps without paying a huge amount.
- It is travel-friendly due to its lightweight.
- It is one of the most affordable amps in the market.
- It does not offer a reverb.
Fender Mini Deluxe Electric Guitar Amp
The authentic contemporary styling with easy-to-use control panel makes this one by Fender stand out from the crowd. Fender is a top name in the guitar world where some top guitarists play these guitars. Even the most entry-level guitarist will realize the classy features and specifications that this super portable piece has to offer.
- One-watt single-channel amplifier
- Authentic contemporary styling
- Dual 2″ speakers
- Dedicated tone, volume and gain controls
- 1/4″ headphone jack and 9V adapter jack
- 11.42 x 7.48 x 3.54 inches
Small Yet Powerful
Even though this is a small amp, it offers a very powerful sound. The volume is very impressive and even surprises many people with its clarity and volume.
Even though it is equipped with a two-inch speaker, the quality of sound it gives out is worth noticing. Larger and more powerful devices can produce the sound produced by this amp.
The versatility offered by this amp is worth the praise. This specific feature makes this stand out among the competitors. It can help users generate music of any style or genre.
Suitable for in-House Practice
This amp by Fender is indeed one of the best among its category. It has been designed specifically for guitarists who want to practice their craft in their homes.
Noise-free & Hum-free Sound
One of the best things about the sound of this amp is that the output generated is free of noise and humming, which can deteriorate the quality of the track.
- Users can play a variety of different tones, including Pop, rock, jazz, blues, metal, country, and all others.
- It is super affordable, and its cost is within a $50 range.
- It is not comparable to a full-size guitar amp.
- It is one of the most durable amps in the market
Fender Mustang I V2 20-Watt 1×8-Inch Combo Electric Guitar Amplifier
The list for the best small, battery-powered amplifiers will be incomplete without mentioning one from Fender, a top-ranked name in the guitar industry. The Mustang V2 is worth getting one’s hands-on. Whether its an entry-level guitarist or a professional on the road, this portable amp will work wonders due to t its amazing specifications and features.
- 20 watts
- 8” Fender Special Design speaker
- 17 amp models and 24 onboard presets
- Reverb, delay/echo, tremolo, phaser, and other effects
- USB connectivity for audio recording output
- 17 pounds
- 7.6 x 15.5 x 14.5 inches
- 20 Watt
Ideal for Beginners
The ones who are new in the world of guitar industry or want to up their game, they need practice amps. This one by Fender is one of the smartest options. It is suitable for use at home. The way it seamlessly connects to PC or MAC makes it great for the first-timers.
Editing, Saving, & Downloading Presets
When it connects easily to MAC and PCs through the USB port, it allows users to make effective use of the Fender FUSE software. Guitarists can easily use the software to play around with their sounds, save them, and even download presets.
Impressive Range of Effects
Another pretty impressive feature is the range of effects that users can utilize to elevate the quality of their tracks. There are four categories of effects that collectively include 44 different effects. The four categories include Stompbox, Modulation, Delay, and Reverb.
The amp features a very straightforward design, which makes this amp very easy to use. It allows users to tweak their tracks through the software easily.
Elite Sound Quality
In comparison to other in-budget practice amps, this one offers elite sound quality and does not sound cheap.
- The effects offered by this amp are of great quality.
- It offers USB connectivity, making it easy to connect with all types of music players.
- The amp offers almost 36 presets, which is a lot given the low price of this model.
- The amp comes with the Fender FUSE software.
- Some modeled amps didn’t sound too flash
- It is not suitable for high gain amp sounds.
- To apply the stompbox effects, a user must use the software.
- The controls on the amp are not very useful.
Orange Crush Mini 3-Watt Micro Amp
Featuring an exciting combination of fun-orange shade with simple designing makes this mini amp catch the attention of many. Taking a look at the specifications is the right way to get hyped up about this super portable amplifier by Orange.
- 9V Battery-powered Guitar Combo Amplifier with 1/8″ Aux Input
- 8-ohm Speaker Output – Orange
- 1/8″ Headphone Output
- 1.99 pounds
- 16 x 14 x 15 inches
- 3 Watts
Even though practice amps are designed to be portable and to be carried easily while traveling, they are still not compact enough, and carrying them is still cumbersome. Doing justice to practice amps is this amp by Orange.
Weighing just 1.99 pounds and with dimensions equal to 16 x 14 x 15 inches, this amp offers perfect portability. The compact design allows users to carry this amp around with ease and convenience.
A Simple & Easy-to-Use Interface
The space for controls is limited on this amp due to it being from the micro category. But the manufacturer has smartly utilized the limited space and created a straightforward control panel and interface.
Users will find just gain, shape, and output volume controls on the panel, which is free of any complexities and does not require a user to go too deep into the amp tech.
The Travel Partner
For guitarists who travel a lot and love taking their guitars with them can get their hands on this amp by Orange. The fact that this amp can run on a single battery makes it the best option for traveling.
- The noise produced by this amp is quite impressive.
- When plugged into an electric guitar, it produces very clean tones.
- The rubber feet of this amp prevent it from sliding on smooth surfaces due to vibration.
- It can run on a single battery, making it ideal for travelers.
- The bass response is not that well equipped due to which the amp produces a thin sound.
- The maximum volume of this amp is not that impressive because of its micro size.
- It is not suitable for acoustic guitars.
NUX Mighty Lite BT Mini Portable Modeling Guitar Amplifier with Bluetooth
Within the 100-dollar range, this affordable piece of equipment will definitely serve as a major place in the lives of players. Top-class specifications, along with exceptional features make this a prominent addition in the list of best small, portable, and battery-powered amplifiers.
- Power: 3W
- 3 Channels: Clean, Overdrive, Distortion
- Built-in effects: Delay, Reverb
- 9 Drum patterns and a metronome
- Tap Tempo controls Delay speed and Drums
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Runs with 9V power adapter, USB connection via power bank or 6 AA-size batteries
Compactness & Portability
The first and foremost feature that convinces guitarists to consider this amp by NUX is its portability. It weighs just 3.39 pounds. The dimensions of this product are 6.54 x 3.86 x 4.88 inches. It is easy to carry around.
It is true that almost all guitarists love playing in front of a massive 4×12 stack. However, not many want to carry that stack around. It is due to this reason, this one from NUX is getting a lot of attention.
The next feature in line is the affordability. It is difficult to find an affordable amp that is portable and packed with features. This one on the list is one which comes within the $100 range, something pretty impressive for the guitarists.
When discussing the features of this amplifier, overlooking its connectivity, is impossible. Users can easily connect this amplifier to any music player through Bluetooth or a 3.5mm AUX-IN.
Moving on, the way it gives a user the ability to control the sound and add effects to its very impressive. There are tons of choices, which means excellent control. Gain, volume, tone, combo delay/reverb dial, tempo button controls, overdrive and distortion voicings, and a plethora of other control options are offered.
A vast bank of Tones
When it comes to diversity, this amp is a great model by NUX. From solid, distinct cleans to overdrive-caked metal, this amp can help guitars diversify their sounds in amazing ways. With Clean, Overdrive Distortion, the users can create a variety of different music styles sound, such as pop, rock, blues, and metal.
- It is super compact and portable.
- It supports a variety of different music styles with Clean, Overdrive Distortion.
- It connects to all types of music players via Bluetooth and 3.55 AUX-IN.
- Some users have complained that it resets when a powerful signal goes into the amp.
- It does not start working until a user allows it to access their location.
Roland MICRO CUBE GX Portable 3-Watt Guitar Amplifier
Roland is a name that many guitarists are raving about due to its state-of-the-art products. Even in this category of best battery-powered amps, this company did not disappoint. Another amplifier by this company in this list, Micro cube GX is lightweight, compact, and a class apart.
- Power Rating: 3-Watts
- Battery Life: 20 to 25 hours
- Power Source(s): 6 x AA Batteries or AC
- Speaker: 5.”
- Controls: Amp Type, Memory, Tuner, Gain, Tone, EFX, Delay/Reverb, Master
- Input(s): ¼”, AUX-IN
- Output(s): REC out/Headphone
- Weight: 6 lbs
- Dimensions: 9.7” x 6.7” x 9”
Versatility at its Best
For all those guitarists who are all about versatility and want to diversify their sound, this amp by Roland is an option worth considering. It is definitely a go-to amp for people with a diverse guitar portfolio.
Talking about versatility, this amp offers eight COSM amp tones and eight DSP effects. The range of sounds it can produce, and the effects along with its functionality, is impressive.
An added feature of this diverse amp is the DSP-powered effects that have been a part of the amps created by this company.
Packed with Features
This portable, battery-powered amp is hard to overlook as it comes packed with amazing features that are hard to find in other such amplifiers.
Compactness & Portability
One of the biggest reasons why many people choose these types of amplifiers is because they are looking for portability. Without compactness, portability is hard to achieve. When talking about this one from Roland, it is one of the most compact models available in the market.
- The versatility offered by this guitar amp is a major plus for the guitarists.
- It is great for amping the sound of a nylon string guitar with a pickup.
- The sound produced is clean and reasonably loud.
- The sound is thin and quiet as compared to its competitors.
- The app is unintuitive for many as many features can only be accessed from there.
- It is too small for significant events and large venues.
The Best Battery Powered Amp Buying Guide
Usually, finding a power outlet near you is easy to run a regular guitar amplifier. This is possible when you are at a brand practice, performing at a concert, or home. You are assured that you will have the power supply.
However, battery-powered amplifiers come to your rescue when you do not have a power outlet around you. These amplifiers are ideal for guitarists who travel a lot and perform in different areas. You just have to fit your amplifier in a bag, or you can easily strap it with your belt and continue playing.
Here is a guide to choose the best battery powered Amps:
One of the first factors that need to be looked at is the build quality. As these guitar amps are portable, they are usually travel-friendly. When carrying it around, there are several ways these amps may incur damage.
In such circumstances, it is best to look for guitar amps that are durable and save from being easily damaged.
The next factor that you need to consider while purchasing a battery-powered portable guitar amplifier is the power rating or wattage. When it comes to this, the ideal option is to choose a model that has the potential to deliver power that is equal to twice the power rating of the speaker.
It means that a speaker with an 8 ohms impedance with a rating of 350 watts requires an amplifier that can produce 700 watts.
The sound quality is one of the most critical factors when it comes to choosing the best amplifier for a guitar. In the end, the sound is what matters to the guitarists. In regards to sound quality, as the size of the amp reduces, lower perceived quality in tone is observed. You need to look at the size of the amp if sound quality is a concern for you.
The large amps have heavy speakers, which can produce an excellent quality tone. The frequency response that is received from a large speaker is amazing. Another issue with the size is that when a smaller amp is chosen, the range of frequencies the speaker can produce decreases. This is why a small practice amp can sound thin and weak compared to a large combo. At lower frequencies, small amps struggle significantly.
The features and specifications guitar amp models sometimes offer are the determining factor of whether a person chooses it or not. The dimensions, weight, appearance, impedance, and the preliminaries it can support are crucial when it comes down to choosing a guitar amp.
Portability is an essential feature for those looking for battery-powered and travel-friendly guitar amps.
The impact that the size of a guitar has on the sound quality has already been discussed above. There is no denying there that the size is indeed an essential factor of consideration. Sound quality is critical in this process, which is why size matters.
One thing that guitarists need to understand that the primary purpose of these guitar amps powered by batteries is portability, which is related to the size. The smaller the size, the better is the portability and lower is the sound quality, so choose wisely.
These are the essential factors of consideration that you need to look at when choosing the battery-powered, portable guitar amps. However, you cannot get everything right, and you will, at some point, have to compromise on at least one of them.
Each factor has its own importance, and you need to decide what is more important to you and what are your guitar needs!
The market is indeed full of a plethora of options when it comes to the category of battery-powered, portable guitar amps. Making the right choice is tough and no less than a challenge. The guide that we have prepared after thorough market research will help you make the right choice!